This week, the topic is: top ten hugely hyped books that I've never read.
This is tricky, because I'm a complete sucker for (a) a well-put-together marketing plan and (b) following the herd. But there are a few I've not read yet, and here they are...
1) The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. Now, I'm not saying never, but this has been so extensively hyped that the reality is almost certain to fall short. I'm also trying to stay away from trilogies until the whole series has been released, because I find it really hard to remember what characters were doing after a year's break. Also, and I realise that this is just going to be me and probably shows how odd my brain is, but every time I see the name Mare Barrow, I think it says Bone Marrow. I can imagine this becoming quite offputting over the course of an entire book.
2) Lord of the Rings. Tried and failed so many times. Too many long-winded songs, too many po-faced elves.
3) An Ember in the Ashes. I'll get to this, but probably when the sequel comes out.
4) The rest of the Game of Thrones series. I read the first one, and it's awesome, but I've never got round to the rest of the series. BTW - how do you know if a Game of Thrones (TV series) fan has also read the books? Answer - because they'll tell you.
5) The Selection trilogy by Kiera Cass. I actually have this trilogy, but I've just never got round to it. Kind of looks like Hello magazine, but in book format. Plus, the girl on the front is sniffing her own armpit, which is slightly odd.
7) The Raven Boys trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater. I loved the Shiver series, but then she went and freaked me out with that book about evil horses, so I kind of shied away from this series in case she was going to write about anything else from my darkest nightmares.
8) Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I have this on my bookshelf and it's going to be read this summer. Definitely. Definitely, definitely, definitely.
9) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I never even knew this was a book until the TV series came out (shocking, I know) but now it's definitely on my TBR list.
10) The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Another one that's on my ever-expanding TBR list...
What about you? What are the most hyped books you've never read?