This week the topic is: Top Ten Characters Who Are Also Book Nerds.
Being a book nerd myself, these are the book characters who I identify with most readily - it's going to take some seriously awesome writing to get me identifying with the jocks - and I think authors realise this, because there are plenty of characters to choose from. Here are my favourites:
10. Liesel from The Book Thief. So desperate for reading material that she steals books.
9. Matilda from Matilda. As I recall she taught herself to read aged three. Impressive.
8. Jo March from Little Women. Not interested at all in dances or frocks, she much preferred curling up eating apples and reading a good book.
7. Guy Montag from Farenheit 451. I didn't think this book was all that great, but you've got to respect a man who saves books from being burned.
6. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. She gets mockeed by the mean Bingleys for liking books, but I fail to see how it's a bad thing.
5. Katy Swartz from the Lux series. She runs a book blog. Need I say more?
4. Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird. 'Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.'
3. Hazel from The Fault In Our Stars. She uses her boyfriend's cancer-kid wish to stalk her favourite author in Amsterdam.
2. Tessa and Will from The Infernal Devices. Their entire stop-start courtship is based around books.
And my favourite book nerd of all is...
1. Hermione Grainger from the Harry Potter series. Unashamedly book-nerdish, can always be found doing research in the library and has very little time at all for things that cannot be found between the covers of a book. Hermione's my girl.
What about you? Who are your favourite book nerds?